Founded in 1986, BFIS is an independent, non-profit, coeducational IB World School
- 672 students, Nursery to Grade 12, in the 2015-2016 school year
- 3 Divisions:
Elementary School: Nursery – Grade 5 Middle School: Grades 6 – 8 High School: Grades 9 – 12
- American High School Diploma
- Spanish Baccalaureate Certificate
- IB Diploma Program (Grades 11 & 12)
- 90 full-time and16 part-time teachers, 40% holding master degrees
- School bus routes servicing over 10 neighborhoods
- Campus accessible via public bus, train/metro
Co-curricular and extra-curricular activities
- Student Council, Model United Nations, Explainers Program at Cosmo-Caixa, Math Team, Yearbook, Team Sports, Music, Drama, Dance, Robotics, Yoga, Language Clubs and more!
- Field trip programs throughout the school year
- Summer program open to non-BFIS students
Multicultural population and opportunities
- student body representing over 45 nationalities
- enrollment mix of American, Spanish, and students of other nationalities
- Graduates attend colleges and universities throughout the world (See University Acceptances Section)
- We are a truly international school in Barcelona, with a roughly one-third breakdown among US, International, and Spanish families. Our diverse and engaged student body, faculty, and parent community -now comprised of over 45 nationalities and cultural heritages- is the heart and soul of our school.
- We believe academic excellence is attainable and worth the effort. BFIS graduates receive offers of acceptance and merit-based scholarships from some of the most prestigious universities in the world.
- Our teaching approach is based on differentiated instruction and places the student at the center of the learning process. We encourage and support students to be curious, independent learners who pursue their passions and understand the beauty and power of knowledge.