ANNUAL FUND CAMPAIGN 2020-2021
Our objective this year is to raise funds for the following projects:
- BFIS Going Green Initiative
- Elementary and Middle School Forefront Patio
- Covid Testing for Teachers/Staff
- Unrestricted Funding
Please specify where to designate your donation
Funds raised throughout the year:
- 25,000 € for IB French Course
- 20,000 € for Teachers Professional Development
- 600 € for MS/HS Art Department
- 2,335 € from the BFIS Parents' Night Out that will finance part of the new Elementary Blue Patio
- 16,807 € for the Talent Development Program
- 28,000 € for the IB Computer Science Program
Total fund raised: 92,764 €
" Do you care about your world?" ... I will try my best to save our world and I hope you do too! (Olivia Alfonso Ferreira, BFIS 3rd Grade student, May 2019)
With the guidance of the Going Green Committee, students of the Going Green Club have had many opportunities to carry out educational initiatives and activities, beginning with the all-school audit. The audit helped us to identify our areas of improvement and action steps to meet our goals. This year's goals were to start recycling, reduce/eliminate single-use plastics and enhance education about environmental issues. Here's how we stacked up:
Recycling & Environmental Education
- The High School Going Green Club placed new recycling bins around each campuse and introduced a recycling initiative during the MS & HS assemblies to show students how to recycle and what waste goes in which bin. Elementary students shared the initiative during morning announcements and a committee member introduced this initiative to staff during PACT time as well.
- Club members participated in a field trip to the “Ecoparc” waste separation and incineration facility and shared learnings and reflections to the community.
- Students and staff participated in a survey regarding cafeteria food and waste to understand how we might reduce food waste. We have identified the need of recycling stations and signage to help our community dispose of waste properly. With money raised by the BFIS Annual Fund's Go Green Campaign, two recycling stations will be purchase and mounted in the cafeteria by the 2019/2020 academic school year.
- Club members met with kitchen staff to introduce them to our waste reduction initiatives and confirmed their waste management practices were in-line.
- Students raised awareness among staff members about excessive photocopying (numbers, problems, and solutions). The data shared by admin indicated a reduction in photocopying for the month!
- Earth Day activities were created: project competition for MS & HS students, a kahoots used in the MS & HS wellbeing classes (G6-7 environment, G8-10 climate change) and a list of brainstormed Earth Day activities was shared with ES teachers for use with their classes.
- Long- term curricular integration of environmental education will be discussed as an option for the school’s new flex programs (ES Flex Friday, MS/HS flex period).
- Student met with the Foundation Board and Head of School to present their call to action and request commitment to achieve a higher standard for the conservation of the environment. Thanks to the approval of Mr. Boudreau, BFIS will now be a PLASTIC FREE campus beginning the 2019/2020 academic school year!
Current amount donated towards the BFIS Fund in support of th2 2017-2018 campaign and school-wide programs:
100% Foundation Board Participation
BFIS Fund 2017-2018: € 18,665
Gala Event: €16.135 (after expenses)
Major Donors: € 85,000
Donations to US Fund: € 7,560.19
Raised: 65,062 €
It is clear that in order to prepare our students to lead in a 21st century work environment, we have to provide a 21st century learning environment. The brand new BFIS Strategic Plan created in 2017 has set a very high priority on creating this environment in all divisions of the school. This year, the money raised through the BFIS Fund will be invested in implementing technology initiatives for our students from K-12. It means:
— The continuation of our Lego Robotics K-5.
— The addition of interactive whiteboards throughout the ES.
— And the preparation for a 1:1 laptop environment in MS/HS.
Raised: 56.000 €
Raised: 151,075 €
Raised: 189,797 €